mgid.com, 628612, DIRECT, d4c29acad76ce94f

Hong Kong fire: 146 deaths, safety check intensified, blame falls on contractor, national security alarm

Hong Kong Police Disaster Victim Identification Unit officer Cheng Ka-Chun said that four out of seven buildings have been searched so far. He says the buildings are structurally safe, but the search is taking a long time due to the dense darkness and low lighting inside. It is noteworthy that in many parts light is not reaching through the windows, due to which the teams are able to move slowly.
In the latest search, 30 more bodies have been found, including 12 that were found earlier by firefighters but could not be retrieved. Police casualty unit chief Sang Shuk-yin said that about 100 people were still missing and more than 79 people were injured.
The crowd of people is continuously increasing at the incident site. Hundreds of people arrived on Sunday carrying flowers, messages and prayers, many with their heads bowed to express condolences to the victims. Local resident Lian Shuzheng said that this incident is a warning to everyone, especially considering the super high-rise buildings present in the city.
Let us tell you that the fire broke out on Wednesday and could be completely extinguished only by Friday. Many residents have lost everything, so people are donating relief materials and essential items. The cause of the fire is not yet known, but authorities are appealing to avoid any kind of rumor or giving political colour.
China’s National Security Agency warned on Saturday that no one should use this incident to incite unrest, otherwise strict action will be taken under the Hong Kong National Security Act and ‘Safeguarding National Security Ordinance’. It is noteworthy that since the protests of 2019, the government has been adopting a sensitive stance in such matters.
The eight buildings of Wang Phuc Court Complex have 31 storeys and were undergoing renovation. The buildings were covered with bamboo scaffolding and nylon nets and the windows were covered with polystyrene sheets. Officials have started investigating whether there was any negligence regarding fire safety during the repair work. The government has also ordered immediate stoppage of work on 28 other projects of the same contractor.
The government said the fire exposed serious shortcomings in site safety management, including risky practices such as the widespread use of foam board to block windows. The company has not commented on this yet.
The complex had approximately 2,000 flats and more than 4,600 residents. Many families have been placed in temporary shelters or hotels in the city and the government is considering long-term solutions. Local civil servant Jeffrey Chan said, “It is heartbreaking to see families torn apart overnight. We need to give these people courage and support.”
Meanwhile, Beijing’s Emergency Management Ministry has ordered a special investigation into the fire safety of high-rise buildings across the country. The ministry has said that bamboo scaffolding, non-fire retardant netting and systems like fire hydrants, sprinklers and alarms will be thoroughly examined.
Let us tell you that this fire in Wang Fuk Court is the deadliest after the horrific warehouse accident of 1948, in which 176 people were killed. The incident has sparked fresh debate over security standards and surveillance in modern Hong Kong, and the city is still in deep shock.

Source link