mgid.com, 628612, DIRECT, d4c29acad76ce94f

Firing near White House: Two National Guardsmen injured, Afghan suspect arrested

The shooting that took place in Washington DC on Wednesday has raised concerns across America. According to available information, an incident of sudden firing on two National Guard soldiers has come to light just a few blocks away from the White House. Both the soldiers are admitted to the hospital in critical condition and their condition is said to be critical.
Let us tell you that the joint investigation team of DC Police and FBI has arrested the suspected attacker a short distance from the incident site. It is noteworthy that the suspect has been identified as Rahmanullah Lakanwal, a 29-year-old Afghan national, who came to the US under the Operation Allies Welcome program in 2021 and was living in Washington since then. The suspect was also injured during the shooting, but his injuries are not life-threatening, officials said.
According to available reports, the incident took place near a metro station, where the accused suddenly took a turn and started firing at the patrolling National Guard soldiers. Other soldiers immediately reached the spot and controlled the suspect. Law and order sources say that the attack is also being investigated as a possible terrorist incident.
After the firing, the US government has further tightened security. According to the information, 500 more National Guard members have been deployed in Washington on the instructions of President Donald Trump. At the same time, US Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) has immediately stopped processing all visa and immigration requests related to Afghan citizens.
President Trump has described it as a “terrorist incident” and said that this attack is a direct attack on American security. He also said that lax immigration policies have become the biggest national security threat facing the country. He says that every citizen coming from Afghanistan will be examined afresh and security standards will be tightened again.
It is worth noting that this incident has happened at a time when the festive season is about to start in America and security and vigilance have been increased in the capital. The DC Joint Task Force commander said the entire National Guard community is in concern and prayers for the injured soldiers and their families.
In view of the current circumstances, the investigating agencies are investigating the case from every angle and officials have said that at present no clear information has come to light regarding the motive of the attacker. However, security agencies say that initial inputs point towards a “targeted attack”.
The incident has reignited debate over security, immigration policies and National Guard deployment in the US, and the investigation is ongoing.

Source link