Thai Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul on Saturday outlined rehabilitation and compensation plans for the southern part of the country. At least 162 people have died in the severe floods in the southern part of the country.
The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said on Saturday that more than 14 lakh families and 38 lakh people have been affected by floods caused by heavy rains in 12 southern provinces.
Government spokesman Siripong Angkasakulakiat told a news conference in Bangkok that 162 deaths had been confirmed in eight provinces, with Songkhla province recording at least 126 deaths. The severity of the floods and the large number of casualties have led to widespread criticism of the government.
Anutin told reporters on Saturday that he was accepting the government’s shortcomings in flood management. He apologized to the people while visiting the affected areas and said that the government had been unable to care for and protect them.
Anutin said the government would start paying compensation to flood-affected people next week. He also outlined additional relief measures, including deferment of loan recovery and short-term interest-free loans for repairing houses.
The Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said that the water level started decreasing in all the affected provinces on Saturday morning. Video footage shows local residents returning to their submerged homes to survey the damage. Furniture and personal belongings are seen scattered on the floor. Floods last weekend blocked roads and submerged small buildings and vehicles.